Friday 30 December 2016

Footsteps in the Sand

“Walk in truth. Leave footprints of honesty.” ― A.D. Posey

Once, someone commented that I only had 139 followers on my instagram, hence insinuating that I was not popular. I was dumbstruck by the comment and did not know how to reply so I just shrugged and smiled.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really tech-savy. Yes...I'm old school. My abilities with regards to social media accounts are limited to uploading photos and pressing 'like' only. Even when I started my instagram account, I had somehow, miraculously fumbled through the whole setting-up process. Don't ask me about twitter because I still think it's a bird!

Anyway, I noticed that some people are quite obsess with the number of 'followers' that one has or how many 'likes' a person gets on his/her Facebook status. I suppose it's a popularity ruler. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's wrong to be popular but let it be for the right reasons.

Honestly, I don't keep track of my 'followers' or 'friends' so I have no idea the number of followers or friends that I have.

The thing is, regardless of how many friends or  followers that a person has, how would you like them to remember you after you're gone? Which part of your life or conduct would you like them to follow?

"Whoever introduces some good practice in Islam which was followed after him (by people) would be assured of reward like the one who followed it without the reward of either fo them being diminished in anyway. And he who introduced some evil practice in Islam which was followed by others would bear the burden like that of the one who followed this (evil practice), without the burden of either of them being diminished in any way." 
[Muslim]

The Wise Old Man told me, many many years ago, when I was young and naive; when I complained that I didn't have many friends, that our goal on this earth is not striving to be famous or popular but to inspire others to do good. Even if we managed to encourage only one person to commit an act of goodness , then it's better than having a million friends.

The Wise Old Man also said that footsteps in the sand are only temporary and will be washed away by the rolling waves. Once it's gone, no one will remember it. If we are to leave an impression, let it be a good and lasting one. Don't let our footprints be a fleeting memory or footsteps in the sand....

No comments:

Post a Comment