Sunday 14 December 2014

How We Forget.

“The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche.

The other day, my eldest commented, "Mummy, why is it despite not getting enough sleep, you don't have dark circles under your eyes?" Hhhmmm.....good question but honestly I don't know why despite being zombie-fied due to lack of sleep since the arrival of our little bundle of joy. It's true that miraculously, I don't bear any signs of sleep deprivation.

In fact, for most moms, we tend to forget all the pain, discomfort and sleepless night each time after giving birth. We go through the whole process over and over again. The funny thing is that I only remember it when I experience it again and not a moment before. It's like God has accorded me with 'temporary amnesia'. Chances are, if I remember every pain and discomfort beforehand, I would probably have only 1 kid.

My eldest was born via C-section after 2 nights of labour and an hour of pushing. She was just stuck and refusing to come out hence I had to be wheeled in for an emergency c-section. Suffice to say, I did an a-z birth process! Right after the surgery, I remember telling my husband that I'm not having anymore children, but, lo and behold, after a year, I forgot about the pain of childbirth  and started whining to hubbs for another baby.

Yups! We mothers do forget . Even those who remembers, if one were to ask them, without hesitation, they will do it all over again in a heart beat because being a mother, without a doubt, is the greatest experience ever.

"It is mentioned in another Hadith that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “Does it not please you (O Women!) that when you conceive from your husbands while he is pleased with you then that woman will receive such reward equal to that of a fasting person in the path of Allah and spending the night in ibaadat. When her labour pains commence the inhabitants of the earth and the sky are unaware of the stores of comfort that are prepared for her. When she delivers and breast feeds her child then she will be granted a reward for every gulp of milk, and if she had to remain awake during the night for the sake of her child, she will receive the reward of emancipating seventy slaves in the path of Allah. O Salaamat! Do you know who these women are? They are pious, upright, delicately natured but yet are obedient to their husbands and not ungrateful to them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment