Friday 19 April 2013

Lessons about Pain..



“Behind every beautiful thing, there's some kind of pain.”― Bob Dylan

A week ago, a dear friend of mine called me, after a long period of silence. We were catching up current news when she asked me if I was expecting. I told her that I was but I lost the baby a couple weeks ago. After filling her in with the details, she then said to me, “I envy you sister”. I was taken aback with her statement so I asked her why. She answered, “No doubt you had suffered such physical pain but God had chosen you, to have the opportunity to wash away your sins. Your pain was blessing in disguise. You are so very lucky!”.

SubhanAllah! A couple weeks ago, when I was in agony, I did not perceive my situation as lucky, . It was not that I thought I was without sin but honestly, I just felt that I was given a test by God and I had to patiently go through it without complaining.

The Wise Old Man had told me, once a long time ago, that people who are inflicted with disease and pain are actually the lucky chosen few. At first I thought the Old Wise man had bumped his head and was suffering from temporary insanity but he went on to explain his statement and it was then, that I understood. He said that their pain and suffering will erase their sins. Some of them are even luckier because they were given advance notice as to when they were to meet their Maker. They are the chosen ones because God had given them the chance to set their matters in order and to rectify their wrongdoings before dying and, in all probability, they had died free of any sins.

Abu Hurairah also reports that Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said: "For every misfortune, illness, anxiety, grief, or hurt that afflicts a Muslim -even the hurt caused by the pricking of a thorn - Allah removes some of his sins." Ibn Mas'ud said: "I visited the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, while he had a fever. I exclaimed: 'O Messenger of Allah! You have a high fever! ' He said: 'My fever is as much as two among you [might have]. ' I asked: 'Is it because you have a double reward?' He replied: 'Yes, that is right. No Muslim is afflicted with any hurt, even if it is no more than the pricking of a thorn, but Allah wipes off his sins because of it and his sins fall away from him as leaves fall from a tree'." Hadith Bukhari, Muslim

I must say that I am always amazed, as to how, God Al Mighty works in mysterious ways. He had sent my dear friend to me, to remind me of the lesson that I had learned a long time ago but had forgotten. He had also reminded me that He has not forgotten me. 

Sometimes, when we are so caught up with life, we tend turn a blind eye to the beauty of things. Not everything that is dark is bad and not everything that is shiny is good. Blessing comes in disguises.

Another thing is, the beauty about having righteous friends is that, when all you see is dark clouds, they will point out the silver linings to you.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) was reportedly asked: “Which of our companions are best?” He replied: “One whose appearance reminds you of God, and whose speech increases you in knowledge, and whose actions remind you of the hereafter.” Hadith

When I remembered what the Wise Old Man had told me eons ago, I then asked myself if I would like to be amongst those who were given advance notice. Hhhmmm... food for thought!.  One thing I know for sure, I still have a lot to atone for before I am being recalled and I am praying hard that I have enough time to do so…..Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment