Friday 28 December 2012

Glorious Friday...

I often wondered why Friday was special amongst other days.Why do we only have Friday prayers? Why not Sunday prayer or Monday prayers? Of course, when I want answers, I either go to the Old Wise Man or the Wise Owl. Don't get me wrong, its not that I'm lazy and I can't google or look it up for myself but being extremely lacking in Islamic knowledge, I would not know whether the result of my research is authentic or not, so it's best to ask the experts.

The Old Wise man will never let me have the easy way out. He will always ask me first, what have I found out before he explains any point to me. The Wise Owl on the other hand, will just simply tell me, anything I want to know. Reason being, the Wise Owl knows that I have been properly trained by the Old Wise Man, in that, I will do my research 1st before coming to any one of them.

So, this is what I know now. Friday is best day for all Muslims. Why?

"Abu Huraira reported the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) as saying: The best day on which the sun has risen is Friday; on it Adam was created. on it he was made to enter Paradise, on it he was expelled from it. And the last hour will take place on no day other than Friday."

Saturdays are for the Jews and Sundays are for the Christians, that is why the Christian have their mass and prayers on Sundays.

    Book 4, Number 1862: Sahih Muslim
It is narrated by Abu Huraira and Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: It was Friday from which Allah diverted those who were before us. For the Jews (the day set aside for prayer) was Sabt (Saturday), and for the Christians it was Sunday. And Allah turned towards us and guided us to Friday (as the day of prayer) for us. In fact, He (Allah) made Friday, Saturday and Sunday (as days of prayer). In this order would they (Jews and Christians) come after us on the Day of Resurrection. We are the last of (the Ummahs) among the people in this world and the first among the created to be judged on the Day of Resurrection. In one narration it is: ',to be judged among them".


During my Uni days, in my ignorance, I used to ask my male Muslims friends, why do they go to Friday prayers every Friday. Why couldn't they just pray in their rooms. The common answer they gave me, was that they were renewing their passport every weeks. Huh? What passport?


        Book 4, Number : Sahih Muslim
Abu-Huraira reported Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who took a bath and then came for Jumu’a prayer and then prayed what was fixed for him, then kept silence till the Imam finished the sermon, and then prayed along with him, his sins between that time and the next Friday would be forgiven, and even of three days wore.

Oooooo...that passport! So what about us women folks? It is not compulsory for us to go for Friday prayers like the men but we can if we want to and if there is space at the Masjid. Somehow, in Malaysia, unlike in Middle East countries, women do not go for Friday prayers. Perhaps because of lack of space. So, are we at loss? Fear not! We women can still get brownie points and renew our passports too!


   Narrated Abu Hurairah (RA): Allah’s Messenger () talked about Friday and said: 'There is an hour    on Friday and if a Muslim gets it while offering Salat (prayer) and asks something from Allah (SWT), then Allah (SWT) will definitely meet his demand.' And he (the Prophet () pointed out the shortness of that particular time with his hands.[Sahih al-Bukhari]


   "The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, ‘Whoever recited Surah al Kahf in the same manner in which it  was revealed, it will serve for him as a light on the Day of Judgement, from his domicile to Makkah. And whoever recited the last ten verses, and it happens that the Dajjal should appear after that, Dajjal will not be empowered over him’." Hadith 

    "The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, ‘Whoever recited Surah al Kahf on a Friday, Allah will kindle for him abundant light to brightly illuminate the period between the two Fridays (the Friday on which the recitation was made and the next Friday)’  Hadith


SubhanAllah! The importance of Fridays. How many Fridays have gone by without me taking advantage of its benefit? While I was caught up with life and busy with everything else, I have failed to stop and value the importance of Fridays. I am determined now, to savor each Friday that comes, as it may be my last and if God Al Mighty were to call upon my soul, I pray that He will do it on a Friday....Ameen...

    "Rasulullah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "The Muslim who passes away on the    night or during the day of Friday, Allah Ta'ala saves him from the punishment of the grave. " (Tirmidhi)
    


No comments:

Post a Comment