Thursday 27 December 2012

De-cluttering....

I remember watching a tv program, with my hubby, about people who keep an enormous amount of stuff in their house and 90% of it are useless things. They are practically buried under all those junks. These people are called 'hoarders'. Mind you, I'm not name calling because I didn't give them that name, I'm merely repeating what the tv calls them!

Anyway, I commented to my hubby "how is that possible? how can they not know that they have accumulated so much stuff and how can they live in such mess? " to which my dearest hubby looked at me lovingly and said " Babe, you are also a hoarder. You have too much stuff  and if you don't do something about it, our house will look like that. You have already taken over my closet!"

I looked at him "Seriously? I'm not that bad! See! everything is neatly arranged! " Hahahaha. Utter denial! who am I kidding? Hubby dearest is absolutely right (but don't tell him I said so!)

I remember one of the stories that the Wise Owl told me, about our beloved Prophet Muhammad pbuh. He hardly had anything in his house and more often than not, his household went hungry.

" Your riches and your children may be but a trial: but in the Presence of Allah, is the highest, Reward."
Surah At-Taghabun 64:15

 " Narrated by Abu Huraira;



Allah's Apostle said, "If I had gold equal to the mountain of Uhud, it would not please me that it should remain with me for more than three days, except an amount which I would keep for repaying debts."
Sahih Bukhari

The Wise Owl told me that on Judgment Day, everyone will be questioned, to the very last cent, as to how they spent their wealth during their lifetime. Did they share their wealth or did they kept everything to themselves? Hmmm....if God were to ask me that question, then my answer will be...a closet full of clothes, handbags, knick-knacks, plates and other useless things! hhmmmm... I might want to rethink my answer as I don't think God will be too please to hear it; but the thing is, if I want to change my answer to " I bought loads of stuff but I gave most of them away", I must actually do it! Remember! on Judgment Day, the mouth and tongue will have a mind and will of its own and I would not be able to control it anymore.Yikes! Its time for drastic measures..

So....the quest began...I started with my my husband's closet which I have invaded. I took out all of the clothes and handbags that I have not touched the last 3 months and put it all in a big bag. Next, I took out all of my shawls and scarves, that I have not seen for a very long time time and put it all in a big bag.That big bag will go to those who are in need of them. Truth be told, once I started it got easier and soon, there was a huge space in my closet! (oh, I gave my hubby back his space!). I just needed to let go my attachment to 'stuff''. I do not want to be buried with my 'stuff' like Pharaoh and my 'stuff' is not worth me going to Hell! My goal is, when I die, I would only have stuff that I need and not that I want. Have I achieved my goal? Are you mad? Of course not! I have only emptied my closet, there is still the cabinet in the dining hall, the drawers in the living room and......


No comments:

Post a Comment