Friday 25 April 2014

Maturing with Age...

“Getting older makes you no wiser,but number of lessons that learned.” ― Toba Beta,

Another year has passed and I grow a year older. I am fast approaching my unknown expiry date. How much time do I have? God knows! None of us know our departure date. If we did, we would be on our best behaviour from the very beginning.

Looking back, I realized that my life have not turned out the way I originally planned it but it is exactly as how God wants it to be.

Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, "The two feet of the son of Adam will not move from near his Lord on the Day of Judgement until he is asked about five (matters) concerning his life - how he spent it; about his youth - how he took care of it; about his wealth - how he earned it; and where he spent it; and about that which he acted upon from the knowledge he acquired." [Tirmidhi]

I'm not sure that when my time comes, I will pass the interrogation with flying colors but I thought to myself, that I must at least try to prepare. One thing for sure, God Al Mighty has been very merciful towards me and have bestowed upon me an abundance of blessings which I don't deserve but nevertheless, very grateful for.

This year, on my birthday, there were no candles or cake or even presents. Was I upset? Honestly....no, because I can see that God has given me the greatest gift of all......love and to be loved.

My day started with messages left by friends and families, wishing me a prosperous life and duas that God grants me barakah and blessings. That made my heart swelled to the maximum. It is always nice to know that you're being thought of. Then, my other half took a break from his busy schedule and spent the day with me at the book fair and even bought me books! You know my love affair with books!

When the kids came home from school, I was showered with kisses and homemade cards. Though my 5 years couldn't quite spell 'mummy' correctly, the fact that he tried warmed my heart. Finally, before the curtains closed down for night, I got a call from my beloved parents wishing me the best in this world and Hereafter.

Now tell me, if a person had all that for his or her birthday, would that person want material things instead? Hhhmmm...maybe some would. I know I did many years ago but after several knocks on the head, I finally came to my senses! Thank God!

Sometimes we forget that the simple things in life are actually the best gifts and priceless treasures. We tend to take these things for granted until it is taken away from us. We may not have everything that we want but God always gives us everything that we need.

Sometimes also, it is because we failed to appreciate what we have, that we feel that we don't have enough. Expectations could also be the culprit because it is when we don't get what we expect then we feel that we have nothing at all.

The thing is, we may never get what we expect but know for sure that we will, InShaAllahtaala get everything that we need. Stop expecting because what we expect may not be good for us but instead, look around and appreciate what we already have. Don't wait until it's too late.

If we want our lives to be meaningful, then start paying attention to God's plan and go with it. Put your trust in Him and you can have the best life anyone can ever ask for.....

Allah Says in a Hadith Qudsi:

When My servant reaches the age of 40, I relieve him of 3 calamities: madness, elephantiasis and leprosy. When he reaches the age of 50, I subject him to an easy reckoning. When he reaches the age of 60, I endear to him his return (to Me). When he is 70, I make him dear to the Angels. When he is 80, I write his good deeds and cast away his evil deeds. When he is 90, the Angels say: he is Allah's prisoner on earth; his earlier and later sins are forgiven and his intercession is accepted. When he reaches the age of senility, Allah records for him (his good deeds) equal (in value) to what he did when he was in sound health. If he does anything bad, it is not written. (Hadith-Tirmidhi)

No comments:

Post a Comment