Monday 17 February 2014

Mirror..mirror on the Wall

"Mirrors have three purposes. To show you who you are. To show you who you were. And to show you who you want to be.”
― Dan Pearce

I don't really look at myself in the mirror nowadays. I mean, I do look at the mirror when I need to put on my hijab but it is always done in such a haste that I barely have time to look my reflection carefully. Sometimes, I wrapped my hijab around my head without even looking at the mirror and dashed out.

One fine day, I finally took a good look at myself in the mirror. Oh my! How I have aged! I even found a few strands of white hair. Yup! I'm definitely aging....

I remember when I was small, my late grandmother would ask my sisters and I to help her pull out her white hairs. We were rewarded with money for our efforts. I must admit, even though it was a lucrative past time, sitting down for hours pulling white hair was not exactly my favourite hobby. I would rather climb the fruit tree behind the house or search for treasures in the store underneath the house.

So the question is, what do I do with mine? Do I pull mine out or color it or just leave it be? Then, I remembered something...

Amr ibn Shu’ayb relates from his father, from his grandfather, that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, “Do not pluck out grey/white hair. A believer’s hair does not turn grey in Islam, except that it will be a light (nur) for him on the Day of Judgment” and “for each grey hair, Allah will write one good deed (hasana) for him and pardon one wrong of his.” (Sunan Abi Dawud, no: 4199)

I came across this hadith a couple years ago whilst listening to one of the lectures by an Islamic scholar. He said that a single strand of white hair on the head is like a light of Jannah.

MasyaAllah! If that is the case, I'm keeping my white hair intact. God knows I will need every little help that I can get.....

No comments:

Post a Comment