Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year

Last year, (2012), my husband told me that we should start celebrating the Islamic new year, Awal Muharram, according to the Hijri calender instead of the gregorian calender. He said that for years we have lived by the gregorian calender and we are completely ignorant about the events happening in the Islam calender.

I have to say that he is quite right. He is not saying not to celebrate the normal new year but to shift our focus to the Islamic calender. For years, I never keep track of the meaningful events happening in the Islamic calender especially if it's not a public holiday!. The event will just pass me by without me knowing it. To tell you the truth, I can't even tell you all the months in the Islamic calender...Tsk!Tsk!Tsk!

This year, (I'm referring to the Islamic year, hehehe) my husband and I made a pack to observe as many Islamic events as possible. Lets us start with the names of the all the months in the Islamic calender. 

 Muharram, Safar, Rabi Al-Awal, Rabi Al-Akhir, Jumada Al-awwal, Jumada Al-Thani, Rajab, Syaaban, Ramadhan, Syawal, Dhu Al-Qi'dah, Dhu Al-Hijjah.

The Wise Owl (bless his heart) would always remind me of the important dates in Islam such as day of Ashura. Day of Ashura falls on 10th Muharram every year. I just found out that many things have taken place on  Ashura day, namely :-

 
1. Repentance of Prophet Adam (Allah’s blessing be upon him) was accepted by Allah
2. The ship of Prophet Nuh (Noah) (Allah’s blessing be upon him) came to rest on a mountain called Al-Judi.
3. Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was born on this day.
4. He got the title Khalil-ullah (friend of Allah) on this day.
5. The fire in which Prophet Ibrahim (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was thrown by the king Namrud become cool and means of safety for Prophet Ibrahim, by the order of Allah.
6. Allah delivered Prophet Ayub (Job) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) from distress and he was restored to prosperity.
7. By the Grace of Allah, Prophet Yunas (Jonah) (Allah’s blessings be upon him), after being swallowed by a huge fish (whale) for forty days, was casted out on the shore.
8. Prophet Mussa (Moses) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) got victory over Pharaoh.
9. Prophet Suleman (Solomon) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was made a king to rule over mankind, Jins, Animals and the air.
10. Prophet Idris (Enoch) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) and Prophet Issa (Jesus) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) were lifted up alive.
11. Imam Hussain (Allah be pleased with him), the grandson of our beloved Prophet, got martyred at Karbala in Iraq.
12. The day of resurrection and judgement will take place on this day (Ashura)

 (source: Ghunia-Al-Talibeen & Tafseer-e-Sawi)   

For this reasons, our beloved Prophet pbuh had recommended Muslims to fast on this day  and also 9th Muharram. 

“Fasting the day of `Ashura' (is of great merits), I hope that Allah will accept it as anexpiation for (the sins committed in) the previous year”(Muslim).

But why am I babbling about Muharram when we are in the month Safar (silly me!) We still have many other events to look forward to. Let us mark our diaries so that we don't forget. 

 1)  Birth of our beloved Prophet Muhammad pbuh - 12th Rabi -Al- Awwal - 24th January 2013.

What should we do? Celebrate by throwing a feast? I think not. The Wise Owl had once told me, "sister, if we love our Prophet pbuh, then must follow his teachings and adhere to the Messages brought by him". 

   "Say (O Muhammad to mankind): 'If you (really) love Allah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic  Monotheism, follow the Qur'an and the sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins'." 
    [Al-Qur'an 3:31]

Perhaps what we should do, is, to read up on our beloved Prophet pbuh, his life, his families and his teachings. We declare that Prophet Muhammad pbuh is our prophet but how much do we know about him? How many children did he have? How many grandchildren? What did he liked and disliked? The Wise Owl had once asked me to study about the wives of the Prophet pbuh, their character and role. He asked me, "sister, do you know the names of the Prophet's pbuh wives?" I looked at him and sheepishly answered " Err...no!". The Wise Owl smiled and said, " did you know that one of the wives of Prophet pbuh was named Hafsah?" My eyes grew wide, " seriously??? you are not pulling my leg?" The Wise Owl shook his head and told me to 'read!'. hhhmmm...


 2) 3 important nights to remember for Muslims 

      
      laylatul Mi'raj or Isra' & Mi'raj - 27 Rajab - 6th June 2013
      Night of Ascension of our beloved Prophet pbuh.

      Laylatul Bara'ah or Nisf Syaaban - 15 Syaaban - 24 th June 2013

      Night where it is said our book of deeds are brought up to the sky and replaced with new      ones  (wallaualam) 

   " Allah looks at His creation in the night of mid-Sha`ban and He forgives all His creation except for a    mushrik (idolater) or a mushahin (one bent on hatred)." hadith

      Laylatul Qadr - night of power - in the month of Ramadhan.

  " We have indeed revealed this (Message) in the Night of Power:
    And what will explain to thee what the night of power is?
   The Night of Power is better than a thousand months.
   Therein come down the angels and the Spirit by Allah's permission, on every errand:
    Peace!...This until the rise of morn!"
 Surah Al-Qadr 97:1-5

3) Ramadhan - 9th July 2013
4) Hajj month - October 2013 , Arafah day 9 Dhu Hijjah - 14th October 2013.

 There are also many other historical dates such as as the battle of Badr and battle of Uhud, 

I definitely need to read up on my history. It has been 2 years since we came back from our pilgrimage and our lives have tremendously changed since then, but, our journey has not come to an end. In fact, I think it has just begun. I look forward to the new year and I hope I will increase my knowledge and patience, reduce my expectations and temper, be more accepting, part with my money more for charity, think well of others and most important of all....still trying to be a Muslim...
 




No comments:

Post a Comment