Wednesday 2 January 2013

A Third Eye...

I am a believer of signs. I believe that there is a lesson to be learnt in everything. I just need to open my eyes wider. I believe that sometimes, God tell us somethings through signs. The Old Wise man would always tell me to look at things with my third-eye. What he means is not literally having a third-eye on my forehead or at the back of my head. If I had that kind of eye, like the monster in Sinbad movies, I will be tranquilised, tagged and shipped to the Russian Circus.

What the Old Wise Man was trying to tell me is, to see things from a different perspective. Thinking outside the box. The problem is, sometimes, I can't see a box but all I see is a long winding dark road with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Actually, I have come to realise that our brain will normally see what we want to see. More often than not, our vision is controlled by our emotions. For example, if we see a glass half filled with water, we will always sadly think that the glass is half empty. Rarely will we happily think that the glass is half full. I'm quick to think the worst when misfortunes happens. In my line of work, I was trained to come up with the worst case scenario and find an argument for it. I suppose that is why I was so pessimistic.Occupational hazard!

The Wise Owl would always say to me, "sister, be happy". In fact, that is his favorite phrase! I even told him once that he sounds so hippy and asked him if he have been popping 'happy pills'!. To me,  it is impossible to be happy ALL the time. I couldn't figure out what he meant. Calmly, he explained....

He said, each of our path have been decided for us by our Creator. Our paths are filled with obstacles and trials. These trials or little tests contain lessons to be learnt. Some will pass their test with flying colors and some might fail but one should never give up. We must always be on the positive side and try our hardest to see the positive side of things. Of course I was skeptic and I told the Wise Owl that its easier said than done. 

The Wise Owl then asked me, "Sister, do you want to know the secret to being happy?" I nodded furiously.  Then he said " Acceptance, learn to accept'.

Hmmmm.....he gave me something to think about. When I was a student, I accepted the fact that exams was compulsory whether I Iike it or not. Somehow, by accepting that fact, it was easier for me, to do what I had to do, that is, study hard. I found that when I didn't resent studying it became quite fun and easy. I suppose life is like that. No one can run away from being tested so we shouldn't resent it. Even the Prophets before our time and our own Prophet Muhammad pbuh, were tested during their time. Let me tell you, their tests were waaaaayyyyy severe and difficult compared to mine. I must just accept it and go through my 'exams'. Whether I will get flying colors or just borderline pass, or even fail miserably; is entirely up to how I prepare for my 'exams'. There is always a blessing behind every mishap but I have to try to see beyond the obstacles. I must train myself to not push the panic button immediately but to take a deep breathe, switch on my 'third-eye' and think. I might not like it but it may be good for me.

"Fighting has been enjoined upon you while it is hateful to you. But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not."
Surah Al Baqarah 2: 216


I have to admit that when I accept things, it gets easier and I am actually happier. I am able to switch on my 'third-eye' easily and see things more rationally and understand the lesson to be learnt from it. Yesterday, my husband and I were having lunch at this restaurant when suddenly, this elderly lady seated next to our table, asked me where I was from. When I replied "PJ", She looked shocked but said that I looked wonderful in black abaya. She proceeded to tell me about how she speaks 7 different languages and that I should learn a different language too. She went on to tell us about her life, her regrets and sorrows. She then got up to leave. Before she left she took my hand and told me that I was still young. Four years ago, I would probaly get iritated because my peaceful lunch was interrupted but I sat through quietly and listened.

Hmmm....so what is the lesson to be learnt here? Eerrrrr...honestly I don't know! I am still trying to analyse the whole scene but I'm sure there is a message here somewhere..hahahahaha.....





No comments:

Post a Comment