Wednesday 2 July 2014

One Day at a Time

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
This year, in my rather 'delicate' condition, I am very grateful for each  day that I am able to fast. A long time ago, I used to dread fasting month as I didn't understand the spirit of Ramadhan but now, I eagerly wait for its arrival each year.
This year, due to my special condition, there were days when I couldn't fast. Even though I fall into the category of those who are allowed to not fast, that knowledge is not enough to assuage my guilt and disappointment of not being able to fast.
The Wise Owl had once told me that we should seize every opportunity to do good and worship God while we still can. If we procrastinate, we might not live to see another sunrise. God may decide to take back our souls whilst we are sleeping.
The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death”
(Narrated by Ibn Abbas and reported by Al Hakim)
Today, when I broke my fast surrounded my loved ones with a simple home cooked dish, I finally understood the meaning of 'sweetness' and joy of breaking fasting.
Hadith qudsi (narration that reports the words of God): Allah Ta’ala (Most High) says what means: ‘Fasting is Mine and it is I who give reward for it.  [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for My sake. Fasting is like a shield, and he who fasts has two joys: a joy when he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better in Allah’s estimation than the smell of musk.’ (Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Nasa’i and Ibn Majah).
To be able to complete a full day fast for me, at the moment is a huge achievement. To be able to control my tongue, eyes and ears from committing sin is even a bigger achievement than controlling one's hunger.
The true joy of breaking fast is not just to be able to eat or drink but to know in your heart that you have indeed fasted, in the true sense of the word; body, mind and soul.........

No comments:

Post a Comment