Friday 20 June 2014

Footie Fever

“Football is like life - it requires perserverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.”
― Vince Lombardi

It's the World Cup football season. Everywhere, everyone, well..almost everyone, is talking excitedly about football. Some have dark circles under the eye due to lack of sleep. Some have the whole game chart hanging on their wall. Each have their own favourite team that they are rooting for. For those whose team was eliminated, they suffered tremendous sorrow and some even bordering on manic depression.

That, is how passionate people are about football. Some say that football has become like a religion for the die hard fan as they eat, drink and sleep football. Their entire life evolves around the game. The fans would know each player by hard and feel an emotional connection to their team. In football also you can see grown men bawling their eyes out, crying for the game. Such, is the power of football.

I, myself have never been a fan of the game. No matter how hard my husband tried to 'enlightened' me about the game, I just don't get it. Then again, I'm not a sport's fan hence it makes no difference what game is on.

I am passionate about other things in life but sports is not one of them. In a funny way, trying to be a true Muslim is like being a football fan. We must eat, drink and sleep Islam. We must feel passionate about it. We must feel the love for it.

Get to know all of the prophets and their role in history as how we diligently study about each player in the team. Know the the rules of Islam and live by it as how we commit to memory the rules of the game. Respect the commandments in Islam as how we respect the rules of the game. Wake up in the middle of the night for prayers as one would wake up for football.

Get to know our 'coach' Prophet Muhammad SAW. He is the best teacher ever known to mankind. Study his moves, conduct, sayings and take his advice to heart. I can assure you that you will not find a better 'coach' than him.

The next step, idolise your Creator more than how you would idolise the players. Love Him. Run to Him when He calls. Cry for Him. Eat, drink and sleep for Him. The most important thing of all........Try to  become His most ardent die hard fan....Trust me, you will be the most contented and happiest fan of all....

Hadith Qudsi 15:
On the authority of Abu Harayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (PBUH) said: Allah the Almighty said:
I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

Related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

No comments:

Post a Comment